Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Automotive Oscilloscope > MaxiScope MP408 > IS the maxiscope worth buying at it's pr...
IS the maxiscope worth buying at it's price point?

4454 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: 2016-04-07 16:21:05

•   Level 4   
    (158) points
    Jerseykat1
    2016-01-31 16:49:46
     so lets say i budgeted 500 bucks for an automotive scope. Is this the scope i should spend my money on?

i have the maxisys mini. But i prefer to not use that for the scope i would be installing it on a windows tablet. There really isnt anything else i can get for automotive use in that price range. what do you think?

•   Level 2   
    (15) points
    wrenchmeister

2016-02-01 17:01:36 (Reply to:Jerseykat1)

Unless they can come out and say how and when they plan to fix the software, I would say definitely not.
    This scope has the hardware, they just need to make the software usable.

•   Level 2   
    (18) points
    brockhausen

2016-04-05 03:07:25 (Reply to:Jerseykat1)

i bought one ans have had pritty good luck with it. i run it on my mini. i did have to reboot a couple of times. i had all 4 hooked up to wheel speedsensors. did ok the back two chanels drag some. quick as can be on one chanel

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    arbez

2016-04-07 16:21:05

Hello, 

I looked at this scope at an Autopart International open house a few months ago & was not impressed. The spec's on the scope seem good, but software seemed very limited. I am comparing it to my Hantek DSO-3064 that I have owned for several years. For your price point that would be the direction that I would recommend going. It is a good scope & they have updated the software several times in the last year & it keeps getting better. I also see used Hantek scopes come up on Ebay every once in awhile & if you are patient you can get a very good deal. Recently saw a complete automotive kit with high & low current clamps go for under $350.00 shipped. At that price point no decent tech should be without one. A little bit of a learning curve, but I good scope if you give it a chance. It's no PicoScope, but's it's 1/4 of the price.

I also really prefer to have my scanner & my scope as two separate pieces of equipment as I often use them simultaneously. I would find it really inconvenient to have to keep switching back & fourth between the scope & the scanner. Learned this on a Snap-On Verus that we had at a place I used to work. The thought of one machine that does it all sounds good at first, but in my experience is more of a pain than it's worth.

Hantek has a cheap scope, 1008 series I believe. 8 channels but it's slow. Low sample rate & small memory buffer, not good for anything other than diagnosing a completely failed component. Stay away if you are after a real scope. It's more like a fancy 8 channel graphing meter. I also understand that Hantek is coming out with a new scope that will be somewhere between the 1008 & the 3064, but I don't know anything about it. 

The Autel scope software doesn't have a demo mode like the Hantek & the Pico do, so it's really hard to get a feel for it's capabilities without actually having the scope connected. If you really think you might want to go with the MaxiSys scope, see if you can demo it for a week or so to see it it is right for you. A scope isn't something you are going to master in a week, so be informed before you make a purchase that you might end up regretting. It's a big purchase & you want to buy one that you will use & not something that is going to sit in the bottom drawer of your tool box gathering dust.

GG - arbez
  Total1 Pages